Thursday, February 27, 2014

That Guy

My doc appointment went well yesterday.  I won’t get the cholesterol test results until tomorrow, but I had Bp 132/74, pulse  58 and weight 208lbs.  The weight number is inflated because I was wearing my winter coat and boots; we have a predicted high of 0° today.  I thought the 132 number was a bit high, but both the doc and nurse said it was a good.

After the initial health questions, the nurse asked me what brought me in for a physical.   I thought and remember saying, “There are cholesterol problems in my family and I signed up for a couple races this summer.”  However, when the doc came in (after the obligatory, annoying 10 minute wait between nurse and doc) the first thing he said was, “So, you’re going to run a triathlon.”  Maybe I’m already that guy who can’t help but mention the word triathlon when I speak about myself.  Probably not; hope not. So far, the only people that know that I registered for a couple races are my wife, the nurse, the doc and this blog.  Since this isn’t posted under my full name, I’m probably not that pompous ass just yet.

Also, my first reaction when the doc asked me about my race was to correct him and say that I was doing a sprint triathlon.  When I hear the work triathlon; I think of those crazy Ironman races.  They do 2.4mile swim, 112mile bike and a full marathon.  I can’t imagine such a thing, and I would feel stupid if anyone thought I was getting anywhere close to that.  Although, after thinking about it at home last night, I might see if I can change to the Olympic distance for my triathlon registration.  It’s probably a silly idea to do an Olympic length before a sprint, but I might be able to do it.  The real reason, of course, is that Olympic sounds much cooler than sprint.  The sprint I am going to run is 1/4mile swim, 17mile bike and a 5k.  Olympic is 1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run.  It would only be a slightly longer bike, but I’d double the run and almost quad the swim.  I’ll see how the 10k run in May goes. If that’s not a total disaster, then maybe I’ll see if I can change my registration.  No need to jump in the deep end just yet.

I did core strength training last night, and I’m running some longer fast intervals tonight.  I feel pretty good so far.  The lunges, squats and things of the like are killing my thighs, but I suppose that’s the point.

78 days to the 10k, 170 days to the sprint triathlon 

No comments:

Post a Comment