Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Check with Your Doctor

Today, I have my almost annual check-up with a doctor.  I’d say “my doctor” but I always just see whoever is available.  I think I went in once last year; it may actually have been a year and a half since my last visit.  This time around, I’m getting cholesterol tested so I have to fast until my 2:30pm appointment.  Hungry.  There are some cholesterol problems in my family, so I’m a little anxious to see what happens with my tests.  I haven’t had my cholesterol checked in quite a while.  The last time I had it checked the doc told me not to bother with the test again for five years.  We’ll see what happens.

You always see that warning that you are supposed to see your doc before starting a new exercise regimen, but if it wasn’t for the cholesterol I don’t know if I would go today.  I haven’t found docs very useful in the past. 

Both of my shoulders give me troubles, but the left is the more problematic of the two.  About two to four times a year, one of my shoulders will give out and I won’t be able to lift my arm above my head for a couple weeks.   I mentioned this at a doc appointment a while back, and he checked me for rheumatoid arthritis (negative) and told me to take ibuprofen.  I had a similar check-up in high school where I was told to take ibuprofen for tendonitis in my shoulders.

Both of my hips give me problems, but the right is definitely the worst of the two.  About once a month, my hip will lock up after I’ve been sitting or standing too long.  Usually, this puts me on the ground either because of pain or loss of balance.  I had it checked out a couple years back (x-rays and such), and the doc said he couldn’t see anything wrong.  He did refer me to an orthopedist, but I never followed up.  I suppose that one is on me. 

Once in a while I have spells where I get dizzy.  Usually, this will happen on and off for a couple weeks or a month.  After that it goes away, and I’m fine until the next time.  I mentioned this at my last doc appointment.  He said it was nothing to worry about unless it gets more constant or more severe.

I’ll mention that I’m going to do some more exercising at the doc appointment today, and I’m sure he’ll not care at all.  We’ll see if my slightly busted body can stand up to the tests ahead.

Anyhoo, I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill last night (with incline).  I did some sprint intervals (8.5mph) with some slower recovery runs in between.  I’m going to kinda follow a training schedule that I found online.  It’s from a British site, which is kinda fun.  It has a lot of reference to heart rate, and I happened to receive a free (used) heart rate monitor from a family member a few months back.  The training plan calls for five runs a week, but I will probably only do four (at least at the start).  Everything says you shouldn’t increase your distance by more than 10% per week.  I’m going to try to stick to that, but I’ll use that more as a suggestion than a rule. 

79 days to the 10k, 171 days to the sprint triathlon 

No comments:

Post a Comment